Shop Local - te.by Kao

This is the first in a series I will be doing on local small businesses, focusing on hand made and sustainability. I'm hoping that after my year of 'nothing new' I can begin to look in more depth at the best way to shop, ethical companies and how people are becoming more sustainable at every level. Shopping local is a great way to support small businesses, local economy and is more often ethically sound.


The first fabulous local maker I'm featuring is Kaori and her business te.by Kao.



Tell me a bit about you and what you do /make / sell ?
 
My name is Kaori, I was Born and raised in japan, later I studied at  Nottingham Trent university and that’s where I met my husband. Now I’ve been  married for over 13 years and live in Shrewsbury with husband, two boys and a ginger cat.
I've liked hand crafted objects and crafts ever since I was little. Sewing and stitching were introduced to me by my mum, and knitting and crochet by  my grandmother. I studied fashion design so I can make garments too (i'm not that good though). I always loved making things but just as a hobby. Being a mum is amazing but I missed all those creative bubbles and when my youngest started school, I finally started making things. I Still feel a bit shy about saying it loud but I am a MAKER.
I created ‘te. by kao’ to offer handmade home accessories using leather offcuts with colourful ropes or threads. I try to be as sustainable as possible to design and make simple and versatile home accessories.

 
 
Tell me about your personal style , what do you wear to work in ?
My style is eclectic. I love simple and ageless style with colour or patterns, and I like to feel sexy in my own way! My mother told me and my younger sister that it is an etiquette to make effort to look good in the morning which gives us a fresh start to  the day. It may seem old fashioned, but I think she was right. So whatever I wear even when   scruffy, I will put on some  makeup and accessorise! I work at home (on our dining table) so I wear whatever suits my mood in the morning!
 
How important is it to you for your business to be sustainable and ethical and what steps have you taken / are you taking towards this  ? ( postage and packaging, materials etc )

My signature product of te.by kao is leather hanging nest. I use offcuts to make hanging nests and keep most of the even smaller offcuts for tags or other use. My way of being sustainable is to try to reuse material and come up with the design using whats alrasy there. I  Have been asked to make a vegan version of the hanging nest but sourcing material from somewhere very far away is not what so ethical or ecological so I stick with offcut leather that could be wasted somewhere if I don’t use it.
I am not taking drastic action for packaging or postage yet ,  I reuse the bubble wraps or envelopes if I can too.
 
What are your fave local small businesses ?
Risdon & Risdon – Love the simplicity, craftsmanship, quality and determinations to get there. They  Definitely inspired me to start this business !
Wild Flora Clothing for simple and beautiful design and slow fashion policy.
Little Nells/Workshop -  a huge fun of their jewellery and love Penny’s new shop
Romy Design – fellow Nottingham Trent graduate and love what she does. One of the first makers who inspired me.
Thistles and weeds -  The most amazing selection of cards and gifts  in Shrewsbury Market Hall.
 
Who is your style icon ?
Difficult question...! My all time favourite is Jane Birkin and her daughters, B.B, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Japanese actress/model YOU .
Thankyou so much Kaori for answering all of  my questions , you can find te.by Kao on Instagram and Etsy and keep a look out for her stall at events!
 
Emma xxx

Comments

Popular Posts